Song in "It's a Wonderful Life"
Joe Morris
2005-05-03 17:50:37 UTC
Aloha,
Anybody know what song is used in this movie or
who did it? imdb doesn't know

I can email an mp3 if that helps
--
Joe Morris Live music in Atlanta
***@gmail.com http://jolomo.net/atlanta/shows.html
Jonnie Santos
2005-05-04 02:16:43 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Aloha,
Anybody know what song is used in this movie or
who did it? imdb doesn't know
I can email an mp3 if that helps
...I'm not current on my movies - are you talking about the Capra film
from 1946 with Jimmy Stewart, etc?

If so there's some info here:

http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/Wonlife/wonlife.htm
Joe Morris
2005-05-04 14:04:27 UTC
Post by Jonnie Santos
...I'm not current on my movies - are you talking about the Capra film
from 1946 with Jimmy Stewart, etc?
http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/Wonlife/wonlife.htm
Yep, that's the movie. The scene I'm talking about is when
George (Jimmy Stewart) first arrives at their new home,
Mary (Donna Reed) is playing this Hawaiian-style song on the phonograph.
It's orchestrated, has steel guitar and a female singer with a pretty
good voice. The only lyrics I can make out are something about the
"waiting arms of waikiki"

Anybody know the name and who sings it?

I can email an mp3 if that helps

Mahalo
Jonnie Santos
2005-05-05 05:06:47 UTC
Post by Joe Morris
Post by Jonnie Santos
...I'm not current on my movies - are you talking about the Capra film
from 1946 with Jimmy Stewart, etc?
http://www.reelclassics.com/Movies/Wonlife/wonlife.htm
Yep, that's the movie. The scene I'm talking about is when
George (Jimmy Stewart) first arrives at their new home,
Mary (Donna Reed) is playing this Hawaiian-style song on the phonograph.
It's orchestrated, has steel guitar and a female singer with a pretty
good voice. The only lyrics I can make out are something about the
"waiting arms of waikiki"
Anybody know the name and who sings it?
I can email an mp3 if that helps
Mahalo
I thought I had the DVD but I guess now - I hunted around on the web,
looked at a script hoping it would list the song (it just said 'music'),
found the movie's music composer Dimitri Tiomkin, however he didn't do a
lot or original music for this film. You need a film/music historian
I'm thinking - bet someone like a Jack de Mello would know, however I
have no idea how to contact him unless it was in care of mountain-apple.

Sorry to be of no help. I'd like to hear the song or a piece of it
(whatever's convenient) if you'd send it to me (please). Thanks...
l***@shentel.net
2005-05-05 11:57:14 UTC
The tune is "Song of the Islands". The steel player was Freddie
Tavares ...
Jonnie Santos
2005-05-05 13:39:43 UTC
...gotta love the internet/ng's - amazing.
Joe Morris
2005-05-05 13:53:25 UTC
Post by l***@shentel.net
The tune is "Song of the Islands". The steel player was Freddie
Tavares ...
Ooooo! The clip here
http://1800sunstar.com/sitesR/H_listen/h02.html
does sound like the same song but with a male singer.

Thanks so much. That give's me a place to start to find out
who sings the other version and try to track it down

Aloha
Rick Aiello
2005-05-05 12:06:13 UTC
The tune was "Song of the Islands". Most folks think it was Freddie
Tavares playin' the steel guitar.
Jonnie Santos
2005-05-05 13:41:36 UTC
Post by Rick Aiello
The tune was "Song of the Islands". Most folks think it was Freddie
Tavares playin' the steel guitar.
...off topic - I went to grade school with a Pete Aiello here in San
Diego (I'm 46), got any family out this way? (just curious)
Rick Aiello
2005-05-05 16:57:23 UTC
My grandfather, father, brother and nephew are all named Pete ... but
we are all from So. Florida.

I'm 46 too ... oh, thats painful to say ... ha, ha