Lyrics to Chinatown by Peter Moon?
Glen Miyashiro
2004-04-30 20:31:51 UTC
I was listening to Peter Moon's "Greatest Hits Collection 1" the other
night and started singing along to "Chinatown" - except that I can't
get all the words. Does anyone know them? Here's what I can make out:

They put the Chinaman in Chinatown
Laundryman fieldhand moneylender yinyang
They filled the air with the smells and sounds
Firecracker black lacquer opium and dimsum
Brought in their women and settled down
Placid and smooth cheeked silk bound small feet
Shanghai beauty don't walk this street
There's the sweet sour odor of burning sweet meat
In Chinatown

They came from everywhere to Chinatown
Missionary Shaolin Holy Bible I Ching
The air was full of the smells and sounds
Gunpowder oolong incense mahjong
The ships arrived from the seven seas
Bringing black market gold and the black disease
See the rats scatter smell the kerosene
You can smell Hell burning and times are lean
In Chinatown

They seen it all _____ in Chinatown
Pearl Harbor Vietnam street war hired gun
Now the tenements are all run down
__________ old man living from a tin can
They know they're living on shaky ground
______________________________
Shanghai beauty now what's that sound?
It's the bulldozer tearing my childhood down
In Chinatown

Do any of his albums have the full lyrics to this song?
Judy
2004-04-30 21:34:39 UTC
Hey, Glen!

As a matter o' fact they DID put the lyrics on the inner sleeve of the
LP. You got most of it. I'll fill in the blanks for you. (Sorry, it
wasn't as easy to highlight the manini changes as I thought, but the
filled blanks are obvious.)

Chinatown
Words & Music by Leo Anderson Akana, 1986 Uhane Music
Post by Glen Miyashiro
They put the Chinaman in Chinatown
Laundryman fieldhand
money-lender, yin-yang.
They filled the air with the smells and sounds
Of fire-cracker, black lacquer
Opium and dimsum
Brought in their women and settled down
*Flaxen hair* smooth cheek
Silk bound small feet.
Shanghai beauty don't walk these streets
There's the sweet sour odor of burning sweet meat
In Chinatown
They came from everywhere to Chinatown
Missionary, Shaolin
Holy Bible, I-Ching
The air was full of the smells and sounds
Gunpowder, oolong
Incense mahjong
The ships arrived from the seven seas
Bringing black market gold
And the black disease
See the rats scatter. smell the kerosene
You can smell Hell burning
And times are lean
In Chinatown
They seen it all __there___ in Chinatown
Pearl Harbor, Vietnam,
Street war, hired gun
Now the tenements are all run down
_Ah Moo and____ old man
living from the tin can
They know they're living on shaky ground
___Highest bidder takes all
___Ready with the steel ball___
In Chinatown
Glen Miyashiro
2004-05-01 02:31:29 UTC
Post by Judy
As a matter o' fact they DID put the lyrics on the inner sleeve of the
LP. You got most of it. I'll fill in the blanks for you. (Sorry, it
wasn't as easy to highlight the manini changes as I thought, but the
filled blanks are obvious.)
Ai! I get the CD, and the thing no get liner notes, *nuttin*. Thanks Judy!